Saturday, July 14, 2012

Melted Crayons

Today's summer activity was to take broken pieces of crayons and melt them into new colors. Here is the blog from pinterest where I found the idea: http://www.oneperfectdayblog.net/2012/06/05/molded-crayon-party-favors/. Recently we were given a box of 48 crayons, and they were super cheap. These crayons broke the second you picked them up, so they were perfect for this activity. Crayola crayons are by far the best crayons to color with, but their papers do not come off easily so stick to the cheap crayons for this one! Heidi, Noah, and I unwrapped the crayons, broke them into smaller pieces, and placed them in different spots of the muffin tin. I used my mini muffin tin so we can have lots of new crayons. The kids thought it was "totally cool" when they saw how the colors were melting together in the oven. After removing them from the oven I thought it was going to take a long time for them to cool and harden, but it really happened pretty quickly. After the crayons cooled we packed them up and went out to dinner. The kids had a great time coloring with their new crayons at the restaurant. If I were to do this again I would look for tins that are a shape other than circles. They were a little tough to color with since they were round. All in all... another fun summer activity!

No comments:

Post a Comment